ASI Archaeological Site Museum, Sri Suryapahar
Sri Suryapahar is a temple complex that thrived in the pre-Ahom era (12th century CE). The archaeological museum houses artefacts from the region, and is a great showcase of Suryapahar’s history. You'll find objects made in different time periods, mostly from the 8th century CE. Expect to see sculptures, idols, fascinating bits of ruined structures - plaques, decorative bricks - there’s even a door frame!
Things to see
- The famous 11th century CE stone image of Mahishasuramardini
- The Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva which feature six miniature images of Avalokitesvara
- The fragment of a terracotta door frame - sure it might be just a door frame, but the detailing on it is amazing: scrolls, creepers, foliage, and other decorative motifs!
How to get there?
- Located a distance of around 13 km from Goalpara Railway Station, Sri Suryapahar can be accessed by taking auto or taxi from the station.
- Trains from other cities such as Delhi stop at Goalpara too!
- The museum is about a two-hour ride away from Guwahati where folks travelling by air can stop at Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport.