Backpackers trip to Meghalaya
October 10 | 11:19PM - December 17 | 11:27PM
Invite your friends
and enjoy a shared experience
Invite your friends
and enjoy a shared experience
Backpacking trip to Meghalaya is one trip that is custom-tailored for someone looking for peace, serenity, and adventure at the same time while being away from the normal troubles of daily life. The name Meghalaya sounds has its own significance and it means the land of clouds in Sanskrit, which you’ll discover for yourself once you reach Meghalaya.
Meghalaya is famous for various things and Limestone Caves is one of them and one can experience what they call ‘Caves in the Abode of the Clouds’. Also, one can find some of the deepest Indian Limestone caves in Meghalaya.
The adventure sport is also one of the reasons people go to Meghalaya and the place offers trekking, camping, mountaineering, rock-climbing and as well as water sports. The peace and quiet of the place mixed with options for unleashing the adventure junkie in you make it one of the perfect destinations to visit in India.
The best time to visit Meghalaya is between the months of October to June, the weather in Meghalaya is nice and one can enjoy the full experience of visiting Meghalaya during these months.
Shillong enjoys a serene, pleasant atmosphere with its beautiful lakes, lush green mountains, pine forests, and exotic orchids, cascading waterfalls which combine to make it the finest hill station of North East.
Covering 4 essentials locations in Meghalaya, Shillong, Cherrapunee (Sohra), Dawki and Mawlynnong during this backpacking trip in Meghalaya, we get to explore not just the places but variations in Culture, cuisines, and rituals followed by the people. Shillong being the Rock Capital, Mawlynnong the cleanest village in Asia, Cherapunjee the wettest place on Earth, Dawki famous for the crystal clear water, water activities and being the border town of India and Bangladesh.
Day 1 : Reach Guwahati and transfer to Shillong via Umiam Lake
- Meet upon arrival at Guwahati Airport / Railway Station. Guwahati, the city of Eastern light stands on the southern bank of the mighty river Brahmaputra. It is the capital city of Assam and the gateway to the entire north-eastern states. After the initial introduction, we travel to Shillong which is famously known as the Scotland of the East and is at an altitude of 4908 feet above sea level.
- Shillong enjoys a serene, pleasant atmosphere with its beautiful lakes, lush green mountains, pine forests, and exotic orchids, cascading waterfalls which combine together to make it the finest hill station of the northeast.
- Explore Cafes and Local market of Shillong in the evening. Overnight stay in Shillong.
Day 2 : Shillong to Cherrapunji via Laitlum
- After early breakfast, we drive to Cherrapunji (4,400 ft.), the wettest place in the world, en-route visiting Elephanta falls and Shillong peak for some breathtaking views of Shillong.
- We have lunch enroute and visit several waterfalls that lie between Shillong and Cherapunjee. We will also be exploring the caves near Cherrapunji is known as Mawsmai later in the evening.
- Dinner and Overnight stay at Cherrapunji
Day 3 : Trek to Double Decker Bridge
- Today after breakfast , we will be trekking to the UNESCO World Heritage, the architectural marvel - Double Decker Living Roots Bridge on this day! If time permits, we shall go exploring and trekking to the Rainbow Falls.
- Return to Cherrapunji by evening.
- Overnight stay at Cherrapunji
Day 4 : Cherrapunji sightseeing, drive to Mawlynnong and Stay at Dawki
- Today we will explore the various places in Cherrapunji, the two cave sites, Nohkalkai waterfall, seven sister falls.
- Continue on the road-trip further to Mawlynnong.
- Mawlynnong – “Asia’s Cleanest Village”. Mawlynnong offers many interesting sights such as the living root bridge and another strange natural phenomenon of a boulder balancing on another small rock.
- We drive to Dawki, The India Bangladesh Border is 2 hrs drive from Cherrapunji and a large river basin, here at the border you will see that not all borders have barbed wire fencing and you can roam about in No Man’s land and go till Bangladesh checkpoint.
- After that, we head onwards to our Camping location! Right by a river! The adventure just multi-folds as we arrive at this location with avenues for cliff jumping, swimming, kayaking and what not. We plan to sleep on this night cozying up in our tents!
- Overnight at the campsite.
Day 5 : Dawki to Shillong
- After breakfast at the campsite, we leave for water activities.
- Activities that can be done, boating, snorkeling, cliff jumping, kayaking.
- Later we drive back to Shillong. Evening at leisure. Guests are free to explore the city in the evening.
- Overnight Stay at Shillong
Day 6 : Shillong to Guwahati
- After breakfast, we drive from Shillong to Guwahati.
- You can book a flight around 6 pm from Guwahati.
- End of Tour
Transportation from Guwahati Airport/Railway station
Accommodation 2night hotel stay in Shillong
Accommodation 2night hotel/homestay in Cherrapunji
Accommodation 1night camps in Dawki
Breakfast in Shillong and Cherrapunji
Dinner and Breakfast in Dawki
Boat ride in Dawki
Complete assistance throughout the tour
Medical Kit & first aid kit
Any expenses for optional activities or tickets.
Insurance, Items of personal nature like porterage, tips, laundry etc
Any additional expenses arising out of unforeseen circumstances like cancellation / roadblocks / landslides / strike or any other natural causes out of human control or any emergency evacuation expenses.
Anything not mentioned in Inclusions
Any Kind of Expense for Loss / Misplaced / Theft of personal belongings.
Booking amount is non-refundable.
No refund of total trip amount will be provided on cancellation, 10 days prior to departure date.
50% of total trip amount can be refunded on cancellation between 11-20 days prior to scheduled departure date.
90% of total trip amount can be refunded on cancellation between 21-90 days prior to scheduled departure date.
100% of total trip amount can be refunded on cancellation, 90+ days prior to scheduled departure date.
If due to any unforeseen circumstances such as bad weather, landslides, road conditions and any other circumstances beyond our control. Act of God, we won't be able to refund the complete amount.
For Cancellations/ Refund Request , kindly reply to the confirmation mail and get in touch with the Team. All cancellations will be considered only after the mail has been received.
Things To Pack
Down Jacket /Main Jacket
Thermals (Upper & Lower)
Running Shoes/ Outdoor Shoes
Medicines (Diamox – to reduce chances of AMS)
First Aid Kit
Documents – ID (Driver’s License, AADHAR Card, Voter ID :: Passport and Visa copy for Foreign Nationals)
Mobile Charger / Travel Charger
Cherrapunjee, MeghalayaGET DIRECTIONS