Backpacking Road trip - SriLanka
Sri Lanka, -the mesmerizing island nation, in the southernmost part of India; where the azure waters of the Indian Ocean enclose it on all sides; covering an area 65,610 sq. km. Ancient ruins, friendly folks, loads of elephants, infinite beaches, rolling waves, renowned tea, economic prices, enjoyable trains, and appetizing delicious food make Sri Lanka irresistible especially when it comes to international holiday tour packages.
With a varied countryside extending from dense green tropical jungles to hilltops, scorched plains and untouched sandy seashores, this country has something for everyone. Sri Lanka welcomes travellers from all over the world. Whether you prefer the entertainment, swimming in the sea, diving or lounging at the islands or trekking, Safarnama trips offer the best of its tropical forests, beaches, adventurous activities, ancient monuments, history, natural beauty, several UNESCO listed sites and a fantastic culture.
Make time to see Sri Lanka's striking attractions the Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage sanctuary, the hill station Nuwara Eliya, the stunning Hakgala Botanical Gardens and best golf course, the manmade lake at Kandy, the Temple of The Tooth and others
Team Safarnama brings you the amazing 9 days 8 nights backpacking trip to Srilanka.
Must Have -
- Valid ID proof with address (5 copies)
- passport size photos
- Lankan rupees or USD (100 USD for 8 days)
Day 1 : Airport Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage Sigiriya
- Arrive by 2 PM at Bandaranaike International airport. Meet and assist on arrival and proceed from airport to Colombo.
- Check in at the hotel in Sigiriya.
- En route Visit Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage
- Spend evening climbing to Sigiriya Rock fortress - Referred by locals as the Eighth Wonder of the World this ancient palace and fortress complex has significant archaeological importance and attracts thousands of tourists every year. It is probably the most visited tourist destination of Sri Lanka. The palace is located in the heart of the island between the towns of Dambulla and Habarane on a massive rocky plateau 370 meters above the sea level. Sigiriya rock plateau, formed from magma of an extinct volcano, is 200 meters higher than the surrounding jungles.Its view astonishes the visitors with the unique harmony between the nature and human imagination.The fortress complex includes remnants of a ruined palace, surrounded by an extensive network of fortifications, vast gardens, ponds, canals, alleys and fountains.
- Overnight stay in Sigiriya
Day 2 : Sigiriya Pinnawala Kandy
- Post break fast start your Journey towards Dambula Cave temple.
- Visit to the spice garden at Matale.
- Afternoon city tour of Kandy. Spend some leisure time shopping and have your local Srilankan food.
- Evening witness the cultural show featuring various types of dances.
- Overnight stay at Kandy.
Day 3. Kandy Ella
- Take a local train from Kandy to Ella.
- Get picked by your driver at Ella railway station.
- The train trip from Ella to Kandy in Sri Lanka, or the other way around, is considered to be one of the most beautiful train trips in the world. This train ride is seven hours long and takes you through stunning landscapes of green and lush tea plantations and mountain views. The train trip between Kandy and Ella is one of the highlights of Sri Lanka in our opinion and we love it!
- Visit to Ravana Waterfall. It is one of the most beautiful and widest waterfalls of the country and stunning beauty makes it a must visit for travelers around the world.
- Visit to the Nine arch Bridge. The Nine Arch Bridge also called the Bridge in the Sky, is a bridge in Sri Lanka. It is one of the best examples of colonial-era railway construction in the country.
- Overnight stay at Ella
Day 4 : Ella - Nuwara Eliya - Ella
- Haputale sightseeing. Haputale is a town of Badulla District in the Uva Province, Sri Lanka, governed by an Urban Council. The elevation is 1431 m above the sea level. The area has a rich bio-diversity dense with numerous varieties of flora and fauna. Haputale is surrounded by hills covered with cloud forests and tea plantations.
- Visit to Little adams peak. A true travelers trip is not complete without a small trek to the peak, especially when you are in Srilanka. Reach the peak and it will be all worth it.
- Visit to the local tea plantation and tea factory(optional)
- Overnight stay at Ella.
Day 5: Ella Mirissa
- Leave for Uda walawe National park. Framed by soaring highlands on its northern boundary, the Uda Walawe National Park is one of the world's best places to see wild elephants. Largely comprised of grasslands and bush forest, it's also one of the best national parks in Sri Lanka for game spotting.
- The rest of the day you can relax and enjoy the romantic beach in Mirissa.
- Overnight stay at Mirissa.
Day 6. Mirissa-Galle-Mirissa
- After the Breakfast you can visit the Galle city Centre, Galle Dutch Fort, Colonial buildings, Museum.
- Stilt Fishing Fishermen.Stilt Fishing is one of the most interesting traditional fishing methods of Sri Lanka. Records indicate that it came into being just after World War II. This mode of fishing was more widely used all along the coast until the tsunami in 2004 which caused such activities to cease temporarily until recent years. The beautiful sight of fishermen perched branched poles as they fish skillfully during dawn, noon and dusk; can now be commonly along the southern coast in towns such as Koggala, Kaththaluwa and Ahangama. Occasional stilt fishermen can also be seen amongst the waters of Madu River, etc.
- Overnight stay in Mirissa.
13th - Day 7. Mirissa
- Early morning proceed to Mirissa for whales and dolphins watching. After this amazing experience
- You can relax at the Romantic beach. You can also pick local bikes and cycles go around the beaches and the city.
- You can also try the water sports available at the Mirisa beach.
- Overnight stay in Mirissa.
14th - Day 8. Mirissa - Bentota - Colombo
- Visit to bentota beach and the Guide will show other beautiful places as well.
- Bentola being little less explored and less visited makes it one of the cleanest beaches in Srilanka.
- Boat Safari
- Overnight stay in Colombo.
- 15th - Day 9. Colombo - Airport
- This is the last day of the amazing trip. You can relax at airport or spend sometime in Colombo city tour.
- Shopping for all the ladies. Colombo is one of the leading markets when it comes to clothing and cosmetics in srilanka.
- Airport Drop.
- Travel within Srilanka as mentioned in air conditioned car/van/bus with an English speaking driver.
- Drivers accomodation,food,toll,fuel.
- Accomodation in 3 star hotels and hostels.
- Travel from your city to Colombo airport
- Meals during the trip. Driver will stop at the best locations for your food.
- You can apply for visa http://www.etagov.sl/official/sIvisa/. Takes about 24 hours to complete.
- Any other personal costs.
- Backpack 40L/50L
- Small Backpack for daily roam around
- Camera (optional)
- Water bottle
- Socks (2 pairs)
- Headlamp/LED torch: Mandatory
Mandatory Personal Medical Kit
- Crocin- 10 tablets
- Avomine (optional, in case of motion sickness)- 1 Strip
- Combiflam- Half Strip
- Muscle relaxant Half Strip
- Digene- Half Strip
- Avil- 1 strip
- ORS- 6 packs
- Knee Cap (If you are prone to knee injury)
Royal College Sports Complex, Colombo, Sri lanka
Sri Lanka Foundation Mawatha, Colombo 00700, Sri Lanka