Backpacking Trip Meghalaya & Assam | Muddie Trails
If North East is a dream destination for you, it's time to tick it off!
If North East is a mystic land that you have always wondered about, it's time to unfold the mysteries of yourself!
There are many reasons Meghalaya is called the heaven on earth.
The mighty mountains filled with dense forests & interspersed by misty valleys are just the beginners.
Amazing waterfalls & pristine rivers make your journey soothing, fill your mind & body with excitement & joy.
The icing on the cake is the wonderful local culture, the beautiful people & their warm reception where ever you set your foot!
Put everything together, it's a unique experience you will cherish for the rest of your life!
Muddie Trails brings it all on a platter for the traveler in you!
Come, let's experience the magical world together!
Schedule and itinerary:
- Meet at the arrival terminal of Guwahati Airport before 2 PM.
- Drive from Guwahati, the bustling capital city of Assam, to a cooler and greener Meghalaya. On the way, you will get a glimpse of the beautiful Umiam Lake. Let's make a quick stopover to take pictures and a quick snack!
- We won't be entering Shillong but will be taking a detour and reach Mawphlang and set up our Camp for an overnight stay (Pitch our own tents)
- Enjoy the local food, sit by the campfire and gaze at a million stars, indulging in some enticing conversations.
Day 2 Sunday 30th Sep:
- Start an early day -6 AM- with a quick breakfast at the campsite and head out on a historical trail, this 16-km trek is a part of the famous horse cart track that was built by David Scott a British officer during early 1800's
- Duration: 4-5 hours, 16 km
- Difficulty: Easy to Moderate. Gradual descent for 1 hour followed by a flat walk for about 2-3 hours. Gradual ascent for the last 1 hour.
- Things to carry: 2 liters of water, snacks, and some packed food.
- Reach back to the campsite by evening and freshen up and call it an early day with sumptuous local food.
Day 3 Monday 1st Oct:
- Start an early day -6 AM- with quick breakfast at the campsite and leave for Mawnylong, Asia's first cleanest village but what is more enticing to see there is the Matriarchal society working in perfect harmony.
- Visit the living root bridge at Riwai and hike up to Nowhere village to get a glimpse of our neighbouring Bangladesh. Lunch at Riwai.
- A quick stop at Dawki, enjoy boating gaping at the river bed and moving fish through one of the clearest river waters and reach Shnongpedang by evening.
- Setup our camp (Pitch our own tents) and enjoy the evening with campfire, music, local food and loads of fun.
Day 4 Tuesday 2nd Oct:
- Start a lazy day with a swim in the fresh cold waters of Umngot river, have breakfast at our campsite.
- Shnongpdeng is blessed with a topography that beckons every nature lovers to enjoy camping, angling, rock climbing, cliff jumping, zip lining, snorkeling, scuba diving and trekking. (activities at guests expense)
- Cool off the activity loaded day with food frolic and barbeque at the campsite with loads of music and masti.
Day 5 Wednesday 3rd Oct:
- Start an early day and head to the breathtaking Krangsuri waterfalls and swim in the fresh cold waters, have breakfast and freshen up.
- Leave for Shora enjoying the breathtaking landscapes of Scotland of the east. Lunch en route.
- Catch up with some breathtaking views and sunset over the Sohra Hills. Call it an early night with sumptuous local food.
Day 6 Thursday 4th Oct:
- Start an early day -5 AM- and begin our journey to the Tyrna village (in Cherrapunjee) which acts as the base point for the double-decker trek.
- Have breakfast at Tyrna and start climbing down 3000 steps, and reach your the double-decker living root bridges. Take a pit stop at Nongriat village, recuperate our energy and head out into the wilderness and witness fascinating fairy pools and umpteen waterfalls and reach rainbow waterfalls.
- Enjoy the trek while keeping track of time as we have to trek all the way back to Shora by evening.
Day 7 Friday 5th Oct:
- Start a lazy day, have a sumptuous breakfast and leave for Kaziranga
- After soaking 4 days in blissful nature, time to get back to civilization, have a quick pit stop at Shillong and visit some places en route which are not part of the itinerary
- Reach Kaziranga by night and call it an early night with sumptuous Assamese Cuisine.
Day 8 Saturday 6th Oct:
- Start an early day and head out to on a jungle safari into the foggy grasslands of Kaziranga National Park.
- Come back and relax or take a stroll in the flea market of Kohra.
- Visit the Orchid and Cultural Park in the afternoon post lunch and bewilder at the cultural extravagance of Assam.
- Come back and gather around by dinner time to rekindle our tranquil tales of Meghalaya and Kaziranga.
- Overnight stay at Kaziranga.
Day 9 Sunday 7th Oct:
- Wake up, enjoy breakfast and then pack your bags for the return journey to Guwahati.
- The long drive through fertile Brahmaputra riverbelt will have numerous viewpoints and local souvenir stores, you could stop and admire the spots as long as you have time to make it for your flight back home.
- Arrive at Guwahati by afternoon and bid goodbye to the northeast.
Kaziranga National Park is slated to open on 1st October 2018 for the post-monsoon season. However, if the park remains closed due to any unforeseen circumstances like floods or bad weather or any other reason which is beyond the control of Muddie Trails, we will be replacing the Kaziranga part of the itinerary with something equally enticing at no additional cost. At the same time, no refunds will be entertained.
The “Offbeat” theme of Muddie Trails
Travelers are requested to refrain from asking our organizers to take them to ABC temple or XYZ church. The itinerary is already decided and posted based on our offbeat theme. The organizer will only change the itinerary if any place cannot be done because of unpredictable reasons. If you have a wish list of tourist places to tick off in your mind, then probably Muddie Trails is not for you and we request you – please do not register.
- Nobody shall deviate from Trek path led by Organizers/Guide.
- During the meetup Muddie Trails is not responsible in case of any injuries or animal attacks or reptile bites.
- Expect the unexpected in case of wild forests like the sudden closing of trek path by govt/forest department(because of wild animal sighting/landslide/some crime), in which case we may have to cancel the trek (This is very rare – never happened till now). In this case, the Organizer will plan for alternate trek/trip. If this is not possible then Muddie Trails will refund the remaining amount after removing the travel cost.
- Travelers are expected to respect each other and help each other.
- Avoid discussing sensitive matters like SEX, POLITICS and RELIGION/RACE.
- Using foul or abusive language or arguing with fellow travelers/ organizer will not be acceptable and will stand a chance of being deserted by the travel group.
- Do not advice organizer on the schedule or activities.
Cancellation and Refund Policies
Guwahati International Airport
Borjhar, Guwahati, Assam 781015GET DIRECTIONS