Bucket List Treks in North East India
Bucket List Treks in NorthEast is one of our favourite 7 day itinerary and is perfect for someone who is visiting Northeast India for the first time. We explore some of the most “Wishlist-ed” Treks and nature trails over a span of 7 days.
We start with Dzukou Valley Trek in Nagaland which is arguably one of the finest treks in the region. Post that we do the Popular Double Decker Living Root Bridge Trek in Meghalaya and get mesmerised by the ultimate architecture of Men and Nature. We also Trek to the top of the tallest waterfall plunge in India, Nokahlikai Falls and Trek to the most beautiful waterfall you’ve ever seen, Rainbow Falls in Meghalaya.
Apart from these easy to moderate level treks, this trip consists of a fine blend of experiences like Village tours, Culinary experiences for Non-Vegetarians, Camping and alternative accommodations, Street Strolls and exploring the Music scene in Shillong.
This trip doesn’t need an incredible amount of fitness level. Amateur trekkers are more than welcome. Suitable for Solo Travellers, Couples and Groups.
The experiences in this Trip are craft-fully curated and we promise you a Perfect and Memorable Introduction to Northeast India.
Day 0 : *Guwahati to Dimapur
- *For people opting for Guwahati to Guwahati tour. You will need to reach Guwahati today and will take a 11 pm train from Guwahati to Dimapur
Day 1 : Drive to Capital of Nagaland
- Welcome to Northeast! After meet and greet at the Dimapur airport/station, we drive straight to the capital town Kohima escorted by bad roads and great drivers.
- We will experience drop in mercury levels as we reach the hill station and be greeted by magnificient views. We check-in to our campsite/homestay (hopefully just at the time of sunset and enjoy it with a cup of tea admist nature). Spend the rest of the evening at leisure chit-chatting and getting to know each other more.
- Have a good night sleep tonight for tomorrow is going to be an adventure.
Day 2 : Trek to the Mighty Dzukou Valley
- First and the most Challenging one in the ‘Bucket list Treks in Northeast’ starts today.
- We start our day super early today and drive towards the starting point of the trek to Dzukou, Jakhama. After a climb of almost 3 hours in a dense Jungle, suddenly the ascend stops, the jungle clears and you get a total panoramic view of the Valley. 15 mins walk in the Valley will take us to the Rest house where we stop for the night.
- Get high on nature or whatever makes you fly if you arent flying already, sip unlimited cups of tea, dance and sing aroung the bonfire or just relax admist the valley with a book and some wine and refuel yourself for tomorrow.
Day 3 : A Day at Dzukou Valley
- Rise early today as we go around the valley, exploring the surroundings, capturing moments, taking dips in chilled frozen streams and do anything and everything that makes us laugh if not smile. Immerse yourself to your surroundings as much as you can and prepare to trek back down around lunch. We should reach the base before sunset where our taxi will drive to Dimapur railway station.
- We board the night train to Guwahati after Dinner.
Day 4 : A Day at the Rock Capital of India
- The train reaches Guwahati by 6 pm where we meet our Pilot for the next 3 days. We board the car and drive straight to the Rock Capital of India, Shillong. Check-in at the Hostel/Homestay and freshen up for some Delightful Breakfast.
- Post Breakfast, we are going to explore the capital city of Meghalaya today. Mornings can be spent at places like Laitlum Canyons or Shillong Peak or Strolling in the market. Shillong is a great place to try some authentic Khasi Lunch. Evenings will be spent Hopping Cafes and exploring Music and Pub Culture in Shillong.
Day 5 : Trek to Double Decker Living Root Bridge
- The tea gets served early today as we prep ourselves for a small adventure today. We start our day with a Scenic 1 hour drive admist the clouds to the Beautiful Cherrapunji, locally known as Sohra.
- First stop, Nohkalikai Falls which is the Tallest waterfall Plunge in India. We not only see the falls from the View Point 500 meters away from the falls but Trek all the way to the Top of it. Be ready to walk in a very interesting rocky terrain which has lots of mini bathtub like Natural pools, and Fossil remains from centuries ago.
- Post that we drive to Tryna Village where the 3rd Trek of the ‘Bucket List Treks in Northeast’ starts. Trek to Double Decker Living Root Bridge.
- It is a one hour walk downstairs where you’ll surely go weak in your knees, both literally and figuratively. There are a couple of natural blue pools and smaller root bridges on the way. We check-in one of these super cute homestays just behind DDLRB and spend the rest of the day getting some natural Fish Spa in the pool below Root bridge, sipping unlimited number of Cups of Red Tea and Beetle Nut, eating maggi because obviously and just being in the Nature’s Lap.
Day 6 : Trek to the most Beautiful Waterfall you have ever seen
- Wake up Lazily today, have a delicious, palatable Breakfast post which we start our final Trek of this trip. An hours walk of smooth ascends and descends and a couple of iron bridges and root bridge later we reach the Massive Rainbow Falls. Soak on the beauty take a dip in the pools and spend as much time as you want here.
- We come back to the homestay. Post Lunch, you may choose to do a 40 minute trek to a nearby village to see another Root Bridge.
- Spend the rest of the evening at leisure.
Day 7 : Return to Guwahati
- Bittersweet news, today you head back home. We climb back up to Tryna Village post breakfast and drive to airport as per your flight timings.
Morung Homestay or Rovi Homestay (Breakfast and Dinner)
Dzukou Valley Resthouse or Camping in Dzukou
(Lunch, Dinner and Breakfast)
North East Frontier Railway -3rd A/C Tickets
Orange Bed & Breakfast or Similar (Breakfast Included)
Night 5 & 6
Serene Homestay(Breakfast and Dinner Included)
Clean, Hygienic and comfortable Accommodation.
All point to point transfers (Sumo in Nagaland and Innova in Meghalaya)
Breakfast on All Days except day 4.
Dinner on Day 1, 2, 5 and 6
Parking and Toll charges
Driver Allowance, food and accommodation.
Inner line permits for Nagaland
Railfare from Dimapur to Guwahati
Any food and beverage cost apart from the ones mentioned above
Any Tips (We encourage to tip the locals. They earn low wages and your contribution will be of huge help for them)
Entry Tickets to Museums, Parks, Cafes etc.
Any personal Expenditure (Shopping, medicines etc)
Costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances such as bad weather, landslides, road conditions and any other circumstances beyond our control.
Any items / services not specifically mentioned under the head ‘inclusions’.
Things To Pack