Chitradurga Fort (Chitaldoorg), Chitradurga
Surrounded by seven hills of the Chinmuladri range, Chitradurga fort stands tall by the Vedavati River in the state of Karnataka. Also called as 'Stone Fortress', it encompasses multiple passages, masjid, reservoirs and temples. This fort has stood witness to the reign of different rulers and is of supreme historical importance. Along with educating yourself about our history, explore this fort and discover why it was popular for its rainwater harvesting system!
Things to see
- Upper fort which comprises of 18 temples and lower fort with one huge temple
- Hidimbeshwara temple
- Masjid, built when Hyder Ali ruled
- Several tanks, which served as a means for rainwater harvesting due to which it is said the fort never experienced water shortage
- 3rd Millennium B.C. inscriptions of the Chalukyas, the Hoysalas, and the Vijaynagar kings
- Vani Vilas Sagar dam, 32kms from Chitradurga
How to get there?
- Accessible from Hampi which is at a distance of 120km
- Bangalore is 200 km away and the nearest airport is the Bangalore airport - Kempegowda International Airport
- The nearest station is Chitradurga Railway Station which is also connected to the mainline at Chikkajajur Bangalore/Mysore-Arasikere broad gauge railway line
- If you are travelling by bus, get down at Chitradurga MG Circle Bus Stand which is the nearest bus station
Fortress and Temple Chitrudurga Fort
Chitradurga Fort (Chitaldoorg), Chitradurga, Chickpet, Chitradurga, Chitradurga, Karnataka, 577501