Dindigul Rock Fort (Dindigul Malai Kottai), Dindigul
The Dindigul Fort was built by Muthu Krishnappa Nayak, a Madurai Nayak ruler. This fort is 270 metres tall and almost 3 kilometres in circumference. During its initial construction, it was told to consist of a total of 48 rooms that were capable to house soldiers, commanders, and prisoners of war. Built on top of a hill, the southern portion of this fort has never had the need for man-made protection due to its steepness. Explore the intimidating and breathtaking double-walled fortress structure.
Things to see
- The secure storage facilities were built to stow away extra reserves of guns and artillery.
- The huge reservoirs built in harvest rainwater
- A magnificent view of the whole city from the fort
How to get there?
- The Madurai International Airport is the nearest airport from the fort.
- You can take trains to the Dindigul Junction which is about 2 km from the fort.
- Vani Vilas Bus Stop is the nearest bus stop.
Dindigul Rock Fort (Dindigul Malai Kottai), Dindigul, Dindigul Fort Temple, Muthalagupatty, Dindigul, Dindigul, Tamil Nadu, 624001GET DIRECTIONS