Fort St. George (White Town), Chennai
Fort St. George was set up in 1644 by the British East India Company in Rajaji Salai. It not only serves as the high seat for the Tamil Nadu government but is a major spot to visit for any history and art lover! The site is historically known as 'White Town'. The fort was erected as a trading post and served as a home for officials of the East India Company. Currently, Fort St. George houses the Tamil Nadu Secretariat and the Legislative Assembly. Marvel at this embodiment of history which is also serving as a significant base for the Indian Army.
Things to see
- 150 ft. tall Flagstaff, made entirely of teakwood
- St. Mary's Church
- Fort St. George Museum
- marble statue of Lord Cornwallis
- Madras High Court, which is at a distance of 2.8 km from the fort
- Victoria War Memorial, which is at a distance of 800m from the fort
How to get there?
- Nearest Airport: Chennai International Airport
- Nearest Railway Station: Chennai Central Railway Station
- Nearest Bus Station: Chennai Mofussil Bus Terminus
Fort, St. George
Fort St. George (White Town), Chennai, Rajaji Road, Chennai, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, 600009, Near Legislature and SecretariatGET DIRECTIONS