Har Ki Doon Trek | Justwravel
Har Ki Doon a.k.a The Valley of Gods is one of the gorgeous treks in the state of Uttarakhand. Situated in the vicinity of Govind Pashu Wildlife Sanctuary in the Uttarkashi district, the trek is boomed with rich varieties of flora and fauna. The route of this trek is quite interesting and offers one with the views of dense jungle, quaint villages on the way, a magnificent valley and mighty Himalayan peaks.
The best time to go on this trek is in summers and post-monsoon as the trail gets blessed by green patches having orchids, rhododendrons and other blossoms. The difficulty level of this trek varies from easy to moderate and is suitable for first timers as well as experienced trekkers.
Mythological stories about the trek:
The trail of this trek is ancient and is linked with legendary stories. According to locals, it is the same route that Pandavas took on their way to heaven and that is why it is called “Valley of Gods”. There is one beautiful peak visible from the valley named Swargarohini and it is called the stairway to heaven. As Yudishthara (one of the Pandavas) climbed this peak with his dog and reached the heaven. Apart from all this, there is one quaint village called Osla, situated on the way to Har ki Doon and it is one of the rare villages having a temple of Duryodhana (a Mahabharata character).
Day 1 : Drive from Dehradun to Sankri
- You will have to report at Dehradun in the morning by 7 AM. Pick up will be from Dehradun ISBT. Then we will start our drive towards the Garhwal Himalayas. Sankri is around 200 km far from the capital city of Dehradun. It usually takes around 7-8 hours to reach there. We will drive through Mussoorie, Kempty, Nainbagh, Purola and Mori. The drive will be along the Yamuna River until we enter the tons valley. Tons valley is formed by the confluence of Rupin and Supin rivers. Till Mori, the views remain the same but it gets changed after crossing it. After Mori, you will be driving through the pine forest and the journey is quite scenic. The road journey will end at Sankri.
- Sankri is a small village having few houses, hotels, restaurants and shops. It is a starting of several treks such as Kedarkantha, Har ki Dun, Bali Pass, etc. To reach the village, we will have to enter the Govind Pashu Wildlife Sanctuary through the Netwara check post. Then the further drive will be through the forest. Overnight stay will be at the hotel/guest house at Sankri.
Day 2 : Drive from Sankri to Taluka and Trek to Seema
- We will start our day with the early morning drive to Taluka which is 12 km from Sankri. The drive takes 1 hour as the condition of the road is bad. Reach Taluka and start your first day trek towards Seema campsite. The trek is 16 km long and takes 7-8 hours usually. The trail is a blend of uphill and downhill. It is mostly even and passes through the thick forests of chestnuts, chinars, walnuts and willows. There are some small waterfalls also amidst the way where you can take rest and fill up your water bottles. We will see some tiny villages on the way such as Dhatmeer, Gangaar, etc. We will reach Seema campsite by late afternoon.
- Enjoy the sunset. Overnight stay in dome tents.
Day 3 : Trek from Seema to Har Ki Doon
- Today we will trek up to the Har Ki Doon valley. We will take the route towards the Osla village after crossing the bridge over Supin river and continue our trek on the steep section. The trail reaches a ridge named Kalkatti Dhar, from where you will get the first view of Har Ki Doon valley. Further the trail passes through some green meadows and finally we will reach the campsite. The campsite is situated near the shore of a river stream having mountain peaks right in front of you.
- Overnight stay in tents.
Day 4 : Trek from Har Ki Doon to Jaundhar Glacier/ Maninda Tal to Har Ki Doon
- Wake up with the cool morning and majestic views of Swargarohini peaks. After having breakfast, today we will hike up to Jaundhar Glacier/ Maninda Tal. The glacier is huge and situated in the Har Ki Doon valley. The initial terrain will be through the boulders and soon you will reach the glacier.
- You will have to climb a bit high on a steeper stretch to reach the glacier. The surrounding views from the glacier are just amazing, Later we will get back to the Har Ki Doon campsite.
- Overnight stay in tents.
Day 5 : Trek from Har Ki Doon to Seema
- The route for the descent will be same as the ascent. We will start early morning after having breakfast. The descending trek will be less tiring. We will reach Seema campsite by afternoon. Overnight stay in tents.
Day 6 : Trek from Seema to Taluka and Drive to Sankri
- Today will be our last trek day as we will proceed towards Taluka. We will drive towards the Sankri village on the same day. Reach Sankri by evening.
- Overnight stay in tents
Day 7 : Drive from Sankri to Dehradun
- We will start our drive early morning and reach Dehradun by late afternoon. Trip Ends.
Tents ,Sleeping Bags & Mats
Trek guide, cook, helpers, porters & mules for carrying common luggage
Meals during trek
Forest Permits/Camping Charges , if any
Services of a Trek Leader
Any expenses for optional activities or tickets, unless quoted in Inclusions.
Insurance, Items of personal nature like porterage, tips, laundry etc
Any Entry Fees
Any additional expenses arising out of unforeseen circumstances like cancellation / roadblocks/landslides/ strike or any other natural causes out of human control or any emergency evacuation expenses.
Anything not mentioned in Inclusions
Any Kind of Expense for Loss / Misplaced / Theft of personal belongings.
Booking amount is non-refundable.
No refund of total trip amount will be provided on cancellation, 10 days prior to departure date.
50% of total trip amount can be refunded on cancellation between 11-20 days prior to scheduled departure date.
90% of total trip amount can be refunded on cancellation between 21-90 days prior to scheduled departure date.
100% of total trip amount can be refunded on cancellation, 90+ days prior to scheduled departure date.
For Cancellations/ Refund Request , kindly reply to the confirmation mail and get in touch with the Team. All cancellations will be considered only after the mail has been received.
Things To Pack
Down Jacket (Main jacket)
Tshirt or Fleece
Extra pair of Socks
Trekking/ Hiking Shoes (Forclaz 100 and above or Arpenaz 100. Checkout in Decathlon stores)
Rucksack (At least 40L)
Mufflers/ Neck Warmer
Extra pair of Clothes
First Aid Kit
*Add extra thermal layers and sweater during the winter season
Sankri, Uttarakhand 249128