Night cycling across Mumbai? Why, yes!
Those complaining about Mumbai's traffic, pollution and noise will see another side of the city at night. We tagged along with Mumbai Travellers as they held a (very fun!) night cycling ride from Marine Drive to Bandstand.
Wait. Cycling? Mumbai?!
Yup. Believe or not. The city is surprisingly amenable to pedaling once darkness descends: Beautiful roads, great scenery... It's amazing what the lack of noise, pollution, cars and angry people can reveal!
What we did
- Cycled with Mumbai Travellers (in a group of 30-odd) from Marine Drive to Bandstand, Bandra.
- A ride of 35 km - the first major ride for many people (especially those who haven't cycled for a while!)
- We selected our bikes (as real cyclists call them).
- Our guides Kedar and Parag briefed the group on the route and cycling etiquette and safety:
- Use a helmet.
- No selfies and earphones!
- Pick a cycle suited to your height.
Along the way…
- Sang (badly but loudly!) while we cycled! Free performance for the bemused onlookers.
- Stops at Worli and Shivaji Park to catch a breather and for our guides to give us trivia, including some celebrity-home-spotting.
- Took some beautiful night shots of Mumbai and the experience.
- An introduction round where we all had to say something funny about ourselves ("naam thode kisi ko yaad rehte hain so something crazy is always memorable" - Parag)
Yes, of course!
Sounds like fun?
Mumbai Travellers organizes quite a few rides around Mumbai regularly. Check out their Heritage Ride event (which is quite informative) on the 18th, starting at Colaba.