Raigad Fort, Raigad
Soaring to a height of around 820 metres, the majestic Raigad Fort is perched on the Sahyadri mountain range in Mahad, Maharashtra. The fort has about 1,737 steps so you better pack your water bottles! It was built by Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj. The Raigad Fort consists of several gateways, namely, the Nagarkhana Darwaja, the Mena Darwaja, and the Palkhi Darwaja, along with the Maha Darwaja which is the main entrance to the fort and has a majestic ambience.
Things to see
- Several relics and artefacts from the reigning period of Shivaji Maharaj
- Ganga Sagar Lake
- A famous wall called Hirakani Buruj or Hirkani Bastion, constructed on a cliff.
- A replica of the original throne which faces the Nagarkhana Darwaja.
- The execution point called Takmak Tok from where prisoners were thrown to death.
- The statue of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj
- Jagdishwar Mandir, his own Samadhi and that of his loyal dog, Waghya
- The Samadhi of Jijabai Shahaji Bhosale, Shivaji's mother
- Khubladha Buruj
- Nane Darwaja
- The Hatti Talav
How to get there?
- Nearest Airport: Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport
- Nearest Railway Station: Veer Railway Station
- Nearest Bus Station: Mahad ST Bus Stand
Raigad Fort, Raigad, Raigad, Raigad, Raigad, Maharashtra, 402305