Sittanavasal Cave (Arivar Koil), Madiyanallur
The Eladipattam caverns are home to historic murals that dated back to the Iron Age. It’s situated in the Sittannavasal district, which, according to historians, roughly translates to 'abode of great saints'. This site is also home to a Jain temple carved out of the rock face, known as Arivar Koil. Marvel the intriguing structure as you experience the ancient South Indian history at this temple.
Things to see
- Seventeen stone beds, that were once used by Jain monks as resting spots
- Arivar Koil, a Jain temple carved out of rocks
- The paintings made of vegetable dyes depicting lotus flowers and other images of flora and fauna
- The carvings in Tamil Brahmi on the stone beds
How to get there?
- Tiruchirappalli International Airport is the nearest airport to the caverns.
- You can get down at the Vellanur Railway station to reach this site.
- The Pulavanpatti Bus Stop is the closest bus stop to the Eladipattam caverns.
NATURAL CAVERN CALLED ELADIPATTAM
Sittanavasal Cave (Arivar Koil), Madiyanallur, Sittannavasal Cave Road, Madiyanallur, Pudukkottai, Tamil Nadu, 622101