St. Angelo Fort, Kannur
This age-old marvel is located 3km south of the town of Kannur in Kerala. Also known as Kannur Fort, Fort St. Angelo was constructed in 1505 by a Portuguese viceroy named Dom Francisco de Almeida. It was later captured by the Dutch in 1663. They sold it back to Ali Raja of the Arakkal dynasty and it was later seized by the British. They turned it into their main army centre in the Malabar region. The fort displays a fusion of the Portuguese, Dutch, and British architecture.
Things to see
- An old chapel located within the fort area
- Remains of an early oil lamp lighthouse
- The watchtower
- Tombstones of the mighty soldiers and army barracks
- The mesmerising Mopilla Bay, a natural harbour, which can be seen from the Fort
- A scenic view of the Arabian Sea
- Beautiful gardens
How to get there?
Located 3km from the city of Kannur in Kerala, tourists can easily avail cabs or drive to the Fort.
- The nearest Railway station is the Kannur Railway Station, which is approximately 3kms from the fort. Taking a cab or ride to the destination would be convenient and quick.
- The nearest airport is Calicut International Airport, Kozhikode, located 85kms from the city. You can avail the regular bus and private taxi services.
Fort St. Angelo, Kannur
St. Angelo Fort, Kannur, Near Cannannore Cantonment, Burnacherry, Kannur, Kannur, Kerala, 670017