Udayagiri Caves, Vidisha
Udayagiri Caves have sculptures in a beautifully refined style. Built in the Gupta period, it also houses possibly the oldest representation of the elephant god Ganesha - dating back to about the fifth century CE. With some of the oldest Hindu temples, the set of 20 caves are a great spot to see how religious representations have evolved over time.
Things to see
- Cave 5 has one of the most celebrated sculptures of Vishnu in the Varaha or boar avatar,
- Cave 5 also has Interesting stone relief of Chandragupta Maurya II kneeling behind the Naga king - a possible political metaphor?
- Sculptures of Durga slaying Mahishasura, and Samudragupta standing in the waves
How to get there?
- You can grab a bus from Bhopal to Vidisha, which takes about one hour.
- Trains from various parts of Madhya Pradesh stop at Vidisha Station. From here you can hire an auto to the caves.
Caves 1 to 20 Udaygiri Vidisha
Udayagiri Caves, Vidisha, Nagar Palika Station Road, Swarnkar Colony, Baripura, Vidisha, Vidisha, Madhya Pradesh, 464001GET DIRECTIONS