Chadar Frozen River Trek 2020 | TrekNomads
Walking on Frozen river of Zanskar is the ultimate experience for any adventure lover. The traditional name of the trek is "Chadar trek" the frozen sheet, which was the only way in and out for Zanskar in winter when all other ways are closed due to heavy snowfall at high passes. Therefore, it has been the trade route for centuries for Zanskari People. Now the route is also famous as winter trekking among adventure lovers.
- 04 nights accommodation at a four-star hotel on a triple sharing basis at Leh
- 04 nights tented accommodation on triple sharing basis during the trek
- Meals: Lunch + Dinner on Day 1 & Breakfast+ Lunch+ Dinner on all other days
- Standard vegetarian food for breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Transportation as per the itinerary by NAC Vehicle, Leh to Shingra Yokma (Day 4) & Shingra Yokma to Leh (Day 8)
- Trek equipment: Sleeping bags, Mattresses, Utensils, Ropes
- Tents: Trekkers tent (twin/triple sharing), Kitchen & Dining tent, Toilet tent
- 1 Mountaineering qualified & professional trek Leader
- Local Guide (Number of guides depending on the group size)
- 1 High Altitude chef & support staff
- Porters for carrying common equipments (like rations/tents/utensils/groceries)
- Basic First aid Kit with a portable oxygen cylinder.
- The facility of keeping extra luggage at Leh when leaving for the trek
- 40% discount on Fast&Up products
- Personalised Dri-Fit T-shirt
- TrekNomads goodies
- The cost to reach Leh and back
- Airport Pick up and Drop Off
- Personal accident and travel insurance
- Innerline permits, ALTOA Fees, ALL applicable luxury and Road Taxes
- Insurance, Wildlife/environmental charges.
- Medical, Emergency Rescue and Evacuation cost
- Any additional charges by Govt and Forest Dept / LAHDC/ Any other authority
- Personal trekking gear
- Tips for guide, chef, porter, etc
- Local sightseeing and monastery entrance fee, camera fee, etc
- Any other expenses incurred apart from inclusions
- All personal and medical expenses, emergency expenses like extra day stay or vehicle charges due to delays, landslides, evacuations.
DAY 1: Arrival in Leh
Located at an altitude of 3,500 m, Leh is a part of the newly formed Union Territory Ladakh. As you reach Leh, you will be greeted by our team. In the evening, you will be briefed on the plan and the other formalities. Post checking in to your hotel, you can retire for the day.
Day 2: Today's plan is to help you acclimatize yourself to the altitude. You can spend the day sightseeing in Leh and visit the very famous and popularly photographed Shanti Stupa, a sacred Buddhist Stupa in Leh. Stay the night Leh and prep yourself for the trek the next day.
Day 3 will go for a medical check-up and permit procedure. Once you are okayed in the Medical check-up, you can go ahead with the permit process. You will be issued a clearance certificate after your health check-up by a positioned medical center. The certificate will only be issued if you are deemed to be fit and fully acclimatized.
Day 4: Leh to Shingra Yokma & trek to Sumo
Trek Distance: 3km
Time Taken: 4-5 hr
After a hearty breakfast in the morning, you start your journey towards Shingra Yokma on a bus. This ride is full of bumpy roads and hairpin bends with sights of snow-capped peaks. Post the bus journey and arrival at Shingra Yokma, you start trekking towards the Sumo campsite which will be your first campsite during the trek.
Day 5: Sumo to Tibb.
Trek Distance: 12km
Time Taken: 6-7 hr
Altitude: 3,300m/10,800 ft
Today you start your trek towards the Tibb Cave. Get ready to be awestruck by nature's beauty as you will pass through ravines and gorges on the trail to Tibb. The high cliffs on either side make it impossible for sunrise to entre the area leaving the weather dull & gloomy. On reaching Tibb, you will come across a large cave which will be your campsite for the night. Once you freshen up, you will be served butter tea with some snacks. After this, you can retire for the night.
Day 6: Tibb to Nerak, the frozen waterfall
Trek Distance: 10km
Time Taken: 6 hr
Altitude: 3,398 m/11,150 ft
The trek on Day 6 is considered to be the most scenic, highly photographed and extremely rewarding. On the trek today, you come across the very famous frozen waterfall and the sacred prayer flags which will give you goosebumps. You will also come across a bridge that is built right next to the waterfall site, this also happens to the route for people to reach Zanskar from Leh. Towards the end, you reach the next halt which is a small village called Nerak, a small community. Tonight you stay in the comforts of the village.
Day 7: Nerak to Tibb
Trek Distance: 10km
Trek Time: 6 hr
Altitude: 3,300m/10,800 ft
Today you start your trek back to Tibb. The journey back is challenging as the river would now be reacting to the changing temperatures. You will also notice that the trail would have started looking different by now. The beauty of the trail now would be entirely different than what you saw when you started the trek. There is also a chance that you will meet locals from Zanskar wearing traditional woolen Gonchas (robe). You halt for the night is the Tibb cave where you will be camping.
Day 8: Tibb to Leh
Trek Distance: 13 Km
Trek Time: 5-6 hr
Altitude: 3,300 m / 10,800 ft to 3,200 m / 10,400 ft
Travel Distance: 70 Km
Travel Time: 3-4 hr
Wake up early today to start your walk back to Shingra Koma crossing Gyalpo. Today is going to be a long as you would have to cover a13 Km walk along with travel to Leh. On the trail back to Shingra Koma, you will notice high mountain passes and pugmarks on the snow. These pugmarks belong to snow animals such as Leopards, Ibex & Foxes, if we're lucky enough we may even get to spot one. Upon reaching Shingra Koma, you start your journey back to Leh and spend the night in luxury in a 4-star hotel in Leh.
Day 9: Leh & then Home.
Today, this unimaginable experience of taking on one of India's most challenging and exhilarating trail comes to an end. You wake up leisurely, have breakfast, freshen up, check out from the hotel and head to the airport from where you head back home.
Leh, Jammu and Kashmir
Leh, jammu and kashmir, India